Search This Blog

15 September 2010

UFN 22 Picks and Notes

UFN looks to me like a strong show on free tv, a show for the hardcore fans and bjj aficianados. Palhares and Oliveira are top shelf Jui Jitsu players and I'm looking forward to both their fights.

Pickin' winners is hard in mma but I'm going to give it a shot, and I'll follow up the card with a review based on these picks. Maybe I can learn from the many nasty posts sure to follow.

Post your picks, or attack mine. I'm a little over 50% since I started keeping track and that's not bad, as far as I'm concerned. Anyways, you know better you say so, and you tell me why.

Main card

* Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Rousimar Palhares
I have Palhares winning via submission due to heel-hook in R2. I'm a big fan of Marquart and Palhares but in this case I think Rousimar will be able to pull off the sub. His only UFC loss was to Dan Henderson in a fight I scored a draw. I don't think Marquart has the wrestling to keep this where he needs it to be to win.
Side note: Marquart has the best finishing combination in UFC history; UFC 95 against Wilson Gouveia, Flying right knee-strait right-left body kick-left head kick-right head kick-left spinning back elbow-right hook-left knee.
* Lightweight bout: Efrain Escudero vs. Charles Oliveira
Both guys are young and hungry. I like strong, technical bjj, and I'm taking Charles Oliveira
* Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Gleison Tibau
This one's easy. I was sitting next to a guy at UFC 118 who said he trained with Jim Miller, and he said that Jim was looking really good. Yeah, I take Jim 'cause sometimes that's the best 'ya got. Probably a gullitine, catching Tibeau coming in on a double. Round 2?
* Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs. Cole Miller
These are my picks, dammit. Miller, submission, uh, omaplata. Yeah. Round 3.

Preliminary card
*Lightweight Bout: Yves Edwards vs. John Gunderson
* Light Heavyweight bout: Jared Hamman vs. Kyle Kingsbury
* Middleweight bout: Tomasz Drwal vs. Dave Branch
* Middleweight bout: Rich Attonito vs. Rafael Natal
* Welterweight bout: Anthony Waldburger vs. David Mitchell
* Welterweight bout: Brian Foster vs. Forrest Petz

No comments:

Post a Comment